Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How do you cut a parakeet's nails?

My parakeet's nails are now so long and he likes to perch on my glasses and I am getting scratched.How do you cut a parakeet's nails?
Go to a pet store and they will groom your parakeet for you.





Dont attempt it your self if you do not know how.





you can email me for more questions at fatwhale90@yahoo.com





Best Of Luck JoeHow do you cut a parakeet's nails?
Hold the bird in a little towel so it won't get away. You can use regular nail clippers (not the big ones). Look for the red part through it's nails. You'll be able to see where the red stops and just make sure you cut where it's clear. If you cut into the red part, you'll make it bleed.
You can do it yourself.. I clip my birds nails and trim their wings both. Of course I've been doing it since I was about 6 yrs old! So it's second nature to me now. I don't think I tried clipping wings until I was about 14 or so.





Just make sure an experienced person shows you how to do it first! And what to do if something goes wrong. And have them let you do it once or twice while they watch.





For nails just make sure you have ';quick stop'; or some sort of styptic powder right handy. I actually get it out every time and set it on the table just in case. To this day I've never drawn blood, but you never know!





And make sure you have a good hold on your bird so if the foot moves you don't clip an entire digit off! Best to have two people do it if you're not experienced or don't feel certain of yourself doing it alone.





Some people will say to put that sandpaper stuff on the perch.. I've heard that's bad for the feet.. but don't have a personal opinion on it either way. I just keep them clipped.





If you're at all nervous about it.. I suggest just bringing the bird in. I think wings clipped and nails done.. they do it for hardly anything.
If you have never done this before, I suggest you take your bird to a vet, so you can be shown how to do it. You need to be very careful not to cut too short or you may cut into the bloodline and infection may set in.! The bird must be held correctly and you must work quickly! An overly stressed bird can die suddenly. please see your vet,to ensure the health and safety of your bird.
It really hurts the bird when it has long nails so fix it now. Go to a store in your local area where they do it. Do not try on your own because if you cut the blood vessels then the bird will bleed to death.
Try making the perch a little bigger and put a piece of sand paper around it!


It sure worked for me!
go to Petsmart and buy sandpaper perches or sandstone swings. They automatically trim the nails instead of cutting but it's easier.
U can do what ';marilynnmarie2'; said.
Please don't ever buy sandpaper perches. Research has shown that they don't help with the nails - and remember that the foot part of a parakeet's foot is SOFT. Having the soft foot sit on a rough sandpapery perch rips it up and causes the keet a ton of pain.





If you get a lot of natural wood perches in different sizes, the claws will naturally abrade *gently* on that as they go from perch to perch, and help keep the claws trimmed.





I definitely agree that you can learn to trim claws yourself - but it's not something a person should attempt on their own on the first try. I would go to your local pet store with your keet and ask them to do it the first time, and learn how to do it by watching. It's not something to try just by reading about it.





When you do eventually try it, make sure you have a styptic pencil on hand - this is a type of pencil that stops bleeding. Just in case.





Lisa


http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/
go to petsmart they will show you for free!!!
don't cut them!!! go to a pet store or a vet and get a nail filer and file it's nails short enough to where they can't scrach you any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment