Saturday, January 23, 2010

How often do you trim a bunny's nails?

My bunny's nails get real long. I hate cutting them. Once I cut them too close and they bleed. Any suggestions on how to clip his nails?How often do you trim a bunny's nails?
once per month, and if its white or light you'll see the red/pink line, only cut the white area, if its darker, you may need a flash like to help see the vein





and if your bun-bun starts bleeding again, i'd keep corn starch handy, incase it doesent stop bleeding [once happened to my rabbit... i asked the vet, its harmless to the rabbit]How often do you trim a bunny's nails?
Every 6-8 weeks. The art to this is to get the bunny to lie on his back with his head under your elbow %26amp; hold his paws up to the light %26amp; cut halfway between the length of growth %26amp; the tip. Once you can persuade a bunny to lie in this position it makes it much quicker %26amp; easier to do anything with them.
I clip my bunnies nails ((All 7 )) every 2 weeks or so.


Be sure to leave a millimeter or so, of white, or if they have black nails, hold them up in the light, and be SURE to leave EXTRA room.





If they do bleed, apply pressure with a washcloth or cotton balls until it stops.


Also, I hold my rabbits on their backs in my lap,


Stroke your bunnies ears until he's relaxed, then gently start clipping away. Always do front first, because rabbits HATE to have their hind legs suspended, so front first to let hi mknow it's okay! =)


Best wishes!
Nails


Rabbits nails can grow to be very long and sharp and will be uncomfortable for the rabbit. If the rabbit has light colored nails they are very easy to trim. You can see the blood inside the nail and you clip just before that point. The dark colored nails are harder to see where they should be clipped but it is still visible.





People are often afraid to clip nails for fear that they will cause the rabbit to bleed. You can purchase a product called Kwik Stop to keep on hand for this problem, but just holding pressure with a cotton ball works too. Your veterinarian will also clip nails for you. They should be checked every 6-8 weeks.





http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom鈥?/a>
I trim my rabbits nails once a month. I don't use clippers anymore since he freaked out over them now I use a dremel it takes like 10 seconds a nail he is calmer I am calmer and it is over quickly.





When I did cut his nails he has black nails so I had someone hold a flash light under the nail so I could see the quick.
There is a red line in the nail if you look closely you'll see it. This is the area of the nail that you want to avoid when you cut the nail. If you stay away from this area, there won't be any bleeding. If your bunny wiggles when you do this, you may want to ask someone to help you hold your bunny while you trim them. Good luck!
Every 4-6 weeks.. dont cut to close to the pink bit..





You cant be tense and scared while doing it because that will make your bunny feel the same way..





Try some different styles of clippers..





And try to have someone hold your bunny while you trim the nails.
I would say once a month... You should try asking a your local pet store if they can trim them for you. I take my rabbit and it's only $5.
  • soft lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment