Friday, January 15, 2010

Is it inappropriate to clip your nails while at work?

There's this guy that sits in the cubicle next to mine. At least twice per week, he starts clipping his nails. I find it a little bit gross and a little odd that he doesn't take care of his personal grooming either before or after work. Is this appropriate etiquette? Should I let him know that it's a little gross? I'm not the only person to think so.Is it inappropriate to clip your nails while at work?
Definitely! Personal grooming is best kept either at home or in a bathroom. Things like combing hair, clipping nails, trimming nasal hair just shouldn't be done in public. It's bad manners, full stop.Is it inappropriate to clip your nails while at work?
I do not understand how people could be so gross.... i know i was brought up not to do this in public, let alone a very professional place I work for.... So I said something 2 weeks ago nothing so now it was time to do something else.. these people that do this 2 times a week need some help....

Report Abuse



that is totally gross! ask him if he plans on doing his toes next! When he says what? you can say, ';well I am wondering how many barf bags I am going to need!'; maybe then he will take the hint.
Someone needs to say something to him. I worked with an older gentleman that clipped not only his fingernails, but his toenails in his office. I cringed with every clip as it echoed through the building.........
Yes! Your work persona should be one of professional courtesy! Do your grooming in the privacy of your own home.





In ';emergency'; cases, such as a hangnail, take your clippers and go into the bathroom to take care of it.





Perhaps you could speak to your supervisor about this.
I'd be grossed out by that. There's no need to be clipping nails at the office - that should be done at home. If I were you I'd find a tactful way to tell him to stop.
yes its gross, its gross to do that outside of a bathroom, some people were raised poorly.
Yes, its very inappropriate. You should somehow subtly advise him of this. If its his toenails however then I don't think subtle will work!!!!
It is; you should at least go into the bathroom.





It's like flossing at your desk, or cleaning out your ears. Be discreet, dude!
That definitely qualifies under the ';personal grooming'; category, and is something that should be done at home.





What does he do with the clippings? That's just gross!!!
It is totally inappropriate. Would he like it if I walked over and started shaving at his desk?





If you tell him as a friend that is whispering a secret, he may feel that you are helping him and take his clipping to the home site.





You might mention that others have noticed and find it disgusting in the workplace. Suggest that he do it at home so that nobody can witness it at work, then walk away. This is not a conversation up for negotiation.
OMG...i thought only my co-worker did this. It's super annoying and disgusting. I think he should do it at home, but he is my superior so i have yet to say something!
yes and digusting.
YES for a lot of reasons. I just asked a question like yours about three days ago. Some dude grossed me out in the WAITING ROOM at a doctors office.





It is poor infection control, unsanitary, selfish, discusting.





Go to the Human Resources person and have them tell him. They have better reigns on office policy and she can put him straight without straining your work environment.
I could understand occasionally clipping off a hang-nail or two, but a full manicure is out of the question! I could even understand filing every once in a while. But that ';clip.... clip..... clip........ clip'; would just get on my nerves! If I were you, I'd go steal his clippers! Or you could always go to the boss and explain how you think it's unsanitary.
Personal grooming should be done at home and if one really has to do it at work, I think they should go to the restroom. However, you telling him that it's gross would probably be rude on your part. I wouldn't say anything to him unless it is personnally affecting you (i.e. nails are flying into your cubical).





I once walked into a co-worker's cubical to find him sitting there with his sock and shoe off and he was clipping his toe nails... just be thankful your co-worker isn't doing that! :o)
Personal grooming should be done in the privacy of one's own home. There may be emergency situations, such as a torn and painful nail, that needs immediate attention. In that case, a quick visit to the men's room with a nail clipper should do it.





Should you tell him he's gross? That's not appropriate etiquette, either! You'll probably get better results if you tell him that bits of him are flying around the office to the danger and distraction of others. Then ask him to please take his personal grooming to the men's room. Then thank him sweetly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment