Friday, January 15, 2010

How do I cut my dogs nails?

My dog has black nails and I dont know how close I can cut it without making her bleed. Whats the best way I can cut it myself?How do I cut my dogs nails?
Does your dog have ALL black nails or some white nails?


My dog has black nails as well, but she always has one or two white ones on each paw, so I would cut those black ones about the same length I cut the white ones.





But if she has all black nails, you could try just cutting a little bit off each time, and when it's almost reach the quick, you could actually see a GREY pointy thing in the middle, and that is when you know you should stop. At first few times, it would be HARD to not make her bleed (so you should always prepare the styptic powder just in case), but I believe you will be a professional in cutting black nails in no time!! If you cut her nails every 2 weeks (or regularly) for a while, from time to time, you will know how much you should cut each time. :-)How do I cut my dogs nails?
i trim my black labs nails with human nail clippers, it means you only take off a tiny amount at a time...i took her to the vets previously and they made 2 nails bleed.i suggest going a bit at a time. if you dog has not had its nails trimmed in the past the quick will be quite long..trimming little and often encourages the quick to receed and avoids bleeding. you will see when you are approaching the quick as it is a black dot on the nail. dead nail is white once cut. as you trim watch out for black areas as this could be the tip of the vein, after trimming file each nail gently to avoid splitting. excercising on roads can help keep nails short. good luck
The best thing is to NOT cut the nails unless you take the dog to a vet. Usually dogs don't need nails trimmed if you take them for walks and so on...they wear down naturally. You can caused serious problems by not knowing how to do it properly
I take my dog to the groomers every other month. They do a great job and they're so much cheaper than if you were to take your dog to the vet. Man's best friend deserves to be pampered every once in a while too, you know!
Every month i bring my dog to a pet salon and they cut my dog nails. you can bring your dog to a pet salon.
i suggest you take it to a pro to do stuff like that. some dogs DONT even want to groom themselves and they stay just fine....

No comments:

Post a Comment