Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How can i stop biting my nails and the skin around them?

ive been doin this since i was little and sometimes i bite them so much it hurts. I really want to stop doing it ive tryed all the nail the habit stuff but it doesnt work. My nails are starting to look worse than ever.How can i stop biting my nails and the skin around them?
I did this as a child and when I got older, I decided I would choose one finger and it was the only one I could bite and the others were completely off limits,when I accomplished this then I went to using a pen cap as a substitute and finally I put that bad habit down also. I think this method is called weaning. Also as you accomplish not biting your nails keep them filed,buffed and in really nice condition and you won't be tempted to ruin them. Good luck I know this is a hard habit to fight.How can i stop biting my nails and the skin around them?
I was the exact same way. For me it was a nervous problem, feeling anxious about certain situations or what have you. It is a ';bad habit'; and you need to try and change the habit - it's a very hard thing to do - like quitting smoking. You have to make up your mind to stop for one. For me, instead of biting, I take nail clippers and carefully snip the loose ends from around my nails or hangnails or what have you. I found manicures are expensive and don't work. When I want to bite at a piece of skin, I just clip it instead. It took quite a while to stop biting or picking at the skin around them. You just have to be conscious of what your doing and make the conscious effort to stop. As well, it helps to keep your hand busy. If they are doing something else, ie: puzzles, typing, needlework, what have you, you don't think about biting. I could go on and on.... Good luck!
maybe trying everytime you get the urge, dip your fingers in vinegar to stop yourself, or something else, not sure, or try to find another habit to cure that one , good luck
See your local chemist, tell him, and he`ll supply you with some type of ointment which you smother on your fingers and nails.


Then start biting them. You will only do it once, it tastes horrible so I`m led to believe.


Do it now before the chemist closes the shop!
Okay take a rubber band and put it around ur rist the pull it up as much as u can and let go... Yes its going to hurt!
Well I can tell you that when I was little and use to bite my parents stuck my fingers in hot pepper juice. Let me tell you one taste of that and the bitting was all over.
I have the same problem, the only thing that seems to stop me from doing it for the time being is having braces which stops me from even getting close to biting my finger or nails
give yourself a little manicure, complete with your favorite color of polish. push your cuticles down so they are out of sight, therefor out of mind.Keep your file close by and tell yourself to file them instead of biting them. You just gotta keep them pretty. Even add that rubber band trick that was mentioned earlier if it proves too much.
I had this problem growing up. After a while I just really told myself that I want to have healthy, unbitten nails. So, I eventually stopped. You should really convince yourself that having beautiful nails is something you really want. Also, you may want to get an acrylic or gel set. Sometimes these aren't the absolute best, but in this case, it may help your situation. The nails look great and in the meantime, your natural nails will grow a decent length. Hope this helped!
I know that for children they have a sort of bitter apple product. It stops them from sucks in their thumbs. This may temporarily help the problem, but I think a lot of nail biting is psychological. Are you stressed lately? When do you bite your nails? Is it during a certain time of day or certain situations? I think you need to figure this out first. Good luck to you!
I have a friend that bought this clear coat nail polish that stops people for bittin thier teeth because it has the most bitter taste ever, but even though it taste bad it smells and looks like regualar nail polish.!
my bff has the same problem. the first is simple, tell people who are around you (like family, bffs) to let u know when your doing it, like give you a swat or something. also, do it yourself. say, if u dont do it for the whole day, reward yourself. if nothing else dip them in 'after death sauce' and i swear, you will NOT want to nibble them then! LOL =)
Every time you bite your nails throw away a quorter, then you'll want to stop because you won't want to lose any more money.
I have the same problem If you find a answer please let me know Im serious please let me know.
go 2 a psychologist


or


concentrate on anything


u do it bcoz u get tensed very fastly and need 2 b more concentrated on ur work
My mom put Tabasco sauce on my nails but I rubbed my eyes and she stopped that. I still do this. It is a nervous habit.





I did try to have sculptured nail at a salon it did help for a while.


Good luck
try getting them done... get a set of gel nails,and they may look so pretty, you won't want to bite them! it's worth a try, and your nails will look pretty for a bit atleast! good luck!
apply some sort of poison on your fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment