Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How do i cut my cats nails?

My cats nails are getting pretty long because he hasn't been to the vet lately ( they usually cut his nails ). I don't want to hurt him...so what steps will i need to take? Also, what tools will i need? Please go in detail, thx!How do i cut my cats nails?
The most important thing to have on site while trimming a cats nails, is a syptic pencil or syptic powder. This is because at the beginning of each claw on your cat, there is a vein referred to as the quick. If cut, this may result in continuous bleeding. Now, don't panic, the syptic pencil or powder will stop the bleeding when applied. It acts as a scab for the vein.





Also, you will need the obvious tool, your clippers. The type that you use all depends of preference. I prefer the small scissor like clippers. They give you more control and are less intimidating to the cats. But, you can also use human clippers or any other kind you prefer. I will attach link to a picture of the kind that I prefer.





Once you choose your clippers, you are almost ready to begin clipping. Now, all you have to wait for is to catch your cat sleeping. I feel that this is the best time to clip your cats nails, for it is the time that they will put up the least resistance. When I clip my cats' nails, I usually only get a few at a time before they wake up completely and start putting up a small fight. When they do get upset, give them a while and go back once they are calmed down and sleeping again. I know, some people may not want to wake their cat, but at the same time, you are doing this for his/her benefit.





Now, here is how to clip the nail: Once ready, retract your cats claws. Do this by softy pressing downward on the top of his/her paw. Once you select the claw you are going to clip, place the clipper just above where the curve and point of your cat's claw ends. When you feel comfortable, just trim the nail off a small amount. By doing the small portions more often, you reduce the chance of cutting the quick. The thing is, you want to take your time, but only to a certain extent. If you take too long, your cat is going to start resisting you.





I will also add a picture of my own advice on where to clip the claw.





All of this information is based on my personal prefferance and experience of clipping my cats' nails. I will attatch a few websites that give alternate ways of clipping your cats nails, or additional information adding to my own.





website directions: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_c鈥?/a>





website directions: http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/Tr鈥?/a>





preffered clippers: http://www.thecatconnection.com/miva/gra鈥?/a>





my advice: http://www.softpaws.com/assets/trimpic2.鈥?/a>How do i cut my cats nails?
Hi there... here's an instructional video on how to trim cat's nails, which includes kind restraint method if it is necessary: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fh鈥?/a>





Any of the following pet nail clippers are great for trimming the nails which you can purchase at any pet store: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en%26amp;q=鈥?/a>
1. DO NOT CONSIDER DECLAWING.


(It's painful, expensive, and unfair. Sorry I just had to get that out there first.)





2.Wrap your cat in a towel.


(Hold him/her in your lap or have some else. Have one paw sticking out to trim.)





3. Put pressure on the cats paw exposing his nails.


(Be careful more cats don't like it.)





4. Use a pair of cat claw trimming scissors -can be bought at most pharmacies-


(The cat ones work the best and are the easiest to use.)





5. Trim the nails.


(Open the scissors and place the TIP of the nail in there and snip. Just enough to dull them.)





Be careful. if your cat sturggles DON'T snip. You could hurt him/her.
I believe there's a specific clipper for cats nails. Avoid the Quick (the red part towards the back of the claw) at ALL costs.





I would also like to say that, 1. DO NOT CONSIDER DECLAWING.


(It's painful, expensive, and unfair. Sorry I just had to get that out there first.), that, that there is one view and not always correct.


Ever read the other perspective? How about 20+ cats who have had none of the reported problems that you like to preach about to openly?


Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Since you seem to not have previous experience cutting nails, go to the pet store and ask a clerk for the cat nail cutters that have a sensor so you know where not to cut. you really only need to cut the very tips off so they dont snag on things so much. i recommend cutting them whem your cat is asleep or very near it, makes it sooo much easier. reward with a treat right after too.
If you find you can't cut your cats nails yourself...take him/her to a groomer...anywhere from 4-12 bucks. Still much cheaper than a vet visit. Some cats will let you others will not.
It is hell cutting my cats nails

No comments:

Post a Comment