Sunday, January 17, 2010

How do I stop my 2 1/2 yr old from biting her nails?

My daughter will bite or rip her nails at least half way done. Sometimes they bleed and she says they hurt. (which we thought would make her stop). She is a very happy go lucky kid and i've been trying to figure out if something in our family life would be stressin her but everything is good. Any ideas to stop it would be apppreciated. Thanks.


P.S she has started ripping her toe nails off now tooHow do I stop my 2 1/2 yr old from biting her nails?
this is from a previous nail biter. there is really very little you can do. other than physically stopping her when you see it happening, you stop her and remind her that it is a nasty habit. all the people telling you to put nasty tasting stuff on her nails are wrong. it does not work. my parents tried all that and more including bribery. you need to praise her when you catch her not doing it . i guess you could always give her a small squishy toy as a substitute for biting. you really just have to let it run it's course. she may be expressing stress the only way she knows how. when does she bite maybe you could change what is happening or how it happens. i am now an adult i quit at 21 yrs. i hope things work out well for both of you. you could always keep them cut so short she can't bite them . that did not work on me either.How do I stop my 2 1/2 yr old from biting her nails?
My oldest son went through the same thing but he was a bit older. Just remember, the more you call attention to it, the more she will do it. When you catch her doing it instead of scolding her, give her something else to do, like a lump of play dough or another hands on toy. After a few weeks of diverting my son after catching him doing it he stopped. I know it hurts you to see her doing this and it concerns you, but many kids do it. Good luck!!!





As for the ones that say to put the polish on that tastes nasty. It doesn't work. If she's bent on biting her nails she'll soon realize after a few seconds in her mouth the taste goes away. It won't deter her.
my mom did this to me when i was young so i would stop sucking my thumb so i assume it would work for biting of the nails...Put something on her hands and nails that tastes gross,trust me she will stop..my mom used to put perfumed lotion on my hands but well i dont know how safe that one is
Put something really nasty tasting on her nails. if that doesn't work tell her that the almighty powers will tear her asunder if she doesn't stop.
have you tried a muzzle?
Oh they sell this Garlic nail polish that helps your nails grow ...but I bought it for my sister in law cause she was always biting her nails and once she used it she never wanted too because it would smell and have a garlic taste....
Does she actually bite them? If so, there is a solution available at any drugstore that you put on the nail or entire finger and it tastes terrible. I think the one we got for my son is called Bite No More. It might be worth a try. Otherwise, maybe a reward system would work?
Put Tabasco on her nails!
Talk to your pediatrician. They have this stuff you can put on her nails that taste really bad but doesn't harm her. Also, just as if she was sucking her thumb and you wanted her to stop you have to be diligent about telling her to take her fingers out of her mouth. Have her keep socks on at all times to deter her from picking at her toe nails. It worked for my daughter on both things!
I am not being mean, put her little fingers in hot sauce and wipe them off everytime she goes to put them in her mouth they will taste nasty and be hot and she will quit it. Unless she likes hot sauce lol then try something else.
Well, you can try to tell her that if she want to have a nice beautiful nails with nail polish, she will have to stop biting. You can do this by showing her how nice is Mummy's nails with the nail polish. This might encourage her to stop biting it.
bandage all her toes and promise that if she doesnt touch her finger nails or toe nails that you'll get her something shes been waiting for.. but say that she cant touch them for a whoooolleeee MONTH!! and make sure there are no loop holes. good luck!
at walmart they sell this no bite nail polish.Its for this problem.I had to buy some for my daughter and it worked great!
Paint her nails with something foul tasting like garlic.
when i was little i hated onions (still do) she would rub my fingers on a fresh sliced onions and i never wanted to put my fingers in my mouth anymore cause it would taste like it
I found out if I keep her nails trimed that she does not bite them as much.


good luck


and at her age I don't think you want to but any of that stuff on her nails she might put it in her eyes, I think that would work for and older child.
I am 12 and I still bite my nails!
try putting nail polish remover, that stuff tasts like hell
Put a sock on her hands for a couple of days until she stops. If that doesn't work, try Vinegar.





Everyone's child is different, only you know what will work best for your child. Try something and stick with it and you will prevail!





I hope this helps you out!
She is nervous, and probably doesn't know she is doing it, untill it hurts. A doctor can prescribe something that won't taste very good, to put on her fingers and toes, so that when she puts her fingers in her mouth, it will remind her to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment