Sunday, January 17, 2010

How to safely trim a ferret's nails?

I'd like to know this because I plan to get a ferret soon. I was wondering if this Pedi-Paws product that I saw would work for ferret nails, because I really don't like to cut an animal's nails because I'm afraid I'll hurt them. If not, what is the safest way to cut a ferret's nails? Any other tips on ferret care that you may have would be great, too. Thanks.How to safely trim a ferret's nails?
I don't know about the pedi paws thing but I always used human finger nail clippers on my ferrets and just snipped at the curve of the nail and watched carefully to avoid the vein just like with dogs. also file them with an emery board so they don't get snaggy. Good luck you made need help it can sometimes be a two man job. make sure you hold the paw and the individual toes all the way out. gently pressing between your thumb and forefinger to extend the nail all they way out. Occupy the ferret with linatone or ferretone or nutri cal while doing this procedure. Keep some corn starch in a bowl or saucer and if you do quick it then put the whole foot in the corn starch until it sticks to the affected toe well.


If you decide to have the vet do this for you make sure they don't put the ferret under anesthesia, they don't do well with it and it should only be used for serious conditions or emergencies not nail clipping

No comments:

Post a Comment