Friday, May 14, 2010

What is the Best Way to Clip a Rabbit's Nails?

My rabbit has very long nails, and I have tried to clip them with a rabbit nail clipper. The problem is that my rabbit does not stay still when I try to do this. Would it be reccomended to find a vet to clip my rabbit's nails? And is there a way to keep my rabbit still if I try to clip her nails myself?





Thank you.What is the Best Way to Clip a Rabbit's Nails?
Clipping them a little bit at a time is the best idea. You can also get a vet to show you - a lot of first-time bunny owners get a vet to show them at first.





Wrapping your bunn in a towel is a good idea you can try. Some people hold their bunn on his back on their lap, because they sometimes struggle less in this position. But our bunny struggles more in this position, so we sit him on my friend's knees, or on the couch, in the corner of the couch so he can't back away, upright on his four feet, and keep my arm wrapped around his back while I hold the relevant foot and cut his nails.





Rabbits have a blood vessel running down the centre of their nail - if your rabbit has white or pale coloured nails, you'll be able to see the pink blood vessel inside. You must be careful not to cut too closely to this, or it will bleed badly. Just in case this ever happens, you can stop the bleeding with powder such as talcum powder or plain flour.





If she's a very dark colour, it will be harder to see the blood vessels running through the middle of her nails ... hold a flashlight on the other side of her foot, so that the beam shines through her nail, and that lets you see the blood vessel more easily.





It's a challenge for the beginner, but the more you do it, the more both you and your bunn will get used to it.





Here's some more good discussions and explanations and suggestions -


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>





Just be calm and go slow ... best of luck!What is the Best Way to Clip a Rabbit's Nails?
Thank you - happy to help! And very best of luck to you both :-)

Report Abuse



have u tryed putting your rabbit on its back?...sometime that helps to relax then, but other times it can drive the rabbit crazy. Also, you can try just putting your rabbit on a table with a non-slip surface. Using only your index finger and middle finger make a ';V'; and stick them over your rabbits neck, pressing them into the ground. This will hold your rabbit still for awhile while another person can clip the nails.
wrap him in a towel, (get someone to help u, one hold one clip) let him burry his head into u. u can also scruff him by the neck which wont hurt him but will give u control.
I clipped my rabbit with dog nail clippers. They work wonderful and the rabbit didn't even care. You can get them at a local pet store or Wal-mart on the pet aisle.
You can go to the vet, or try wrapping the bunny in a towel with only the leg you're workingon sticking out. Can you have someone else hold it too?
Along with all the other posters (they have some great ideas), you can also try your local petstore. Petsmart doesn't do this, but a lot of times the smaller petstores will trim nails of all kinds of animals (birds included, and they'll usually clip wings too!) for a much smaller fee than going to the vet. I have a petshop 2 miles away from me called Fish Gallery and Pets that will trim a rabbit's nails for $5. Much cheaper than the $50 that my vet charges. Try calling around to find a petshop that will do it. They can show you some great ways to handle your pet so that you can do it on your own. Hope it helps!
Well,I also have a rabbit and she also has very long nails but I do want to let you know that cutting your rabbits nails by yourself might not be such a good idea since rabbits have veins in there nails and if you cut them your rabbit might not survive so I recommend you take your rabbit to the vet and have the vet cut them.
Um, have one person hold the rabbit, and you cut the rabbit's nails.
take it to a nail salon
Clipping a rabbit's nails is not particularly easy, no matter how you do it, she won't like it. A vet might have more experience and might be able to help you. I find it easiest to clip nails when the bunny is on his back in my lap, he doesn't like it very much though. Some rabbits will relax if you hold them belly up and stroke their face until they relax, but it only works if your bunny really trusts you. I usually wrap my bunny up in a towel when I'm clipping nails and if he starts getting stressed, I let him go. It's easiest to only do a few nails at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment