Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is there a way to trim a ferret's nails without hurting it?

I have two ferrets, but I'm too afraid to trim their nails because they seem to act like they are in pain or something. I have the pet nail trimmers, and I know where to trim the nail, but it still scares me. What am I supposed to do?Is there a way to trim a ferret's nails without hurting it?
there are a few of ways to trim the nails. If you want to do it alone then take some ferretone and squirt it on thier belly, lay then on thier back on your knee and show them the ferretone. They will lick it off. As they are licking you quickly trim the nails. if you are afraid of nicking them you can cut them a bit longer but its very easy to see where to cut on most ferrets.





If your ferret is one of those heavy sleepers you could do it while they sleep.





And the easiest way is to have a helper hold them by the scruff of the neck. this will not hurt them but it will cause them to go utterly relaxed. They will not squirm or fight. While held like that you cut the nails. If the ferret needs a break you can give it a breather and a treat and then go on to the other paws.





One of mine will just lay on his back no treat needed for nails to be done.





Another one I can scruff myself and he will be still enough I can safely use the nail clippers on him





And the last one likes to drive me insane so I get a helper.





Also I use toenail clipers not dog/cat clipers. they are easier to handle and I find do a nicer cut.Is there a way to trim a ferret's nails without hurting it?
The 2 suggestions about putting ferretone on their belly works for me and my 2 ferrets. Don't worry about hurting them, you say you know where to cut them so you shouldn't have a problem. The odd time I've ';hurt'; my ferrets when cutting their nails they shout at me and pull their paw away, but they NEVER stop licking that ferretone!! So I just carried on and they were fine (I didn't make them bleed or anything, just must have cut a little close) Good luck - you'll be fine, just go for it! xx
Lay the ferret on it's back on your lap. Put a drop of Ferretone or whatever vitamin you use on the ferrets tummy. He will be so busy licking that he will not care what you are doing to his nails! Some ferrets may like this method the first time you try it, others may take a few times or a few months.
they are not in pain they are just scared. If the nails are clear, that is easy. just stay away from the pink part. If they are dark only do the tips. Either way you really only need to do the tips.


Get another person to hold them whle you are cutting their nails. Talk to them, be very gentle(firm but gentle). If you are nervous, they will be nervous.


Make sure you are using proper nail clippers. Not all pet nail clippers are good. They should look more like curved scissors than a guillotene (gill-o-teen???) %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;----those ones pinch the nail off and that could hurt.


Make your cuts quick and precise. If you accidentaly make them bleed you can either use QuickStop (if you have any) if not cornstarch or flour will work. Take a pinch and press it into the nail to stop the bleeding.
Have a shallow dish of flour available just in case you clip the quick (the blood vessel in the nail). If you do clip the quick dip the tip of the nail in flour, this will help stop the bleeding.





The first few times you do this you may want someone to help you. The first couple times I did my ferrets nails I had someone help hold him. I eventually was able to do it on my own.





Have your helper 'scruff'; your ferret. This generally stops a ferret from struggling, and if you rub their bellies while scruffed they will go into almost a trance like state.





Clip each nail while the ferret is scruffed. If you can't get them all in one session, try again later.





Good luck.
I have a rabbit and a dog and I used to have the same problem. After trying countless times, I decided to take them to the vet. It is cheap and it saves you the trouble. For me it was $15 for each. And i only need to do it once every 6 months or once a year. Which comes to $30-60/year. I think this is the best way, unless you have to cut the nails more often for a ferret.
  • soft lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment