Monday, May 10, 2010

Do I have to clip my beaded dragons nails?

Zorro's nails are long, but I don't know if I should clip them or not...Do I have to clip my beaded dragons nails?
You will only want to trim the nails if they are making it difficult for the lizard to walk around or have started to curl up on him. The nails are used to help grip when climbing and although you may/will get scratched it's safer then cutting the quick and causing pain for your little one. If you really want to clip them get the most powerful flashlight you have so you can see the quick and not cut it or try the vet for nail cutting.Do I have to clip my beaded dragons nails?
You don't want to allow Zorro's nails to get long enough to impede his ability to walk properly. How old is Zorro and what kind of substrate does he live on? Is it able to wear his nails down as he moves around in his tank?





The best substrate for a BD is slightly textured ceramic tile (not smooth or gloss). It's a one time purchase, conducts heat well, helps to trim his nails, comes in assorted colors, and is easy to clean. Here's a decorating idea - note the tile floor in the tank:


http://hubpages.com/hub/Fake-Rock-Instru鈥?/a>





Another alternative is to lay Zorro along the length of your thigh and use a fine grain emory board to remove just the tip of each claw.





If you do decide to trim your dragon's nails, be sure to take just the very tip off, and don't cut into the sensitive quick (it will bleed and be painful to the dragon). I recommend that you have a pet groomer or your vet show you how to clip the first time.





Good luck with Zorro. I hope this has been helpful.
how old is he??








well i you want to or if they are becoming a really big problem then yes.





umm you COULD. like with a nail cutter like a really small one and be cafefull cuz u might cut off his hole toe!. and i mean seriously.





umm but to be on the EXTRA safe side don't cut them.. at least not by yourself.








hope my advice can help! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment