Saturday, December 26, 2009

How do I get my black lab to let me trim her nails?

I've even tried the electric pedi paws trimmer and still no success.How do I get my black lab to let me trim her nails?
I have the same problem with my beagle. First of all, a groomer at Petco told me to use the scissor-like clippers ( http://www.petco.com/product/6040/Miller鈥?/a> ), they are easy to control and just better overall, especially if the dog doesn't like having his nails trimmed. She also suggested getting a Lavendar Calming spray they had at my local Petco, so check at yours, and I also found this online that I was going to try ( http://www.petco.com/product/7743/Richar鈥?/a> ). I haven't tried either the lavendar calming or the other online product yet. Talk to your groomers at your local petco or petsmart, they also do it there. Be sure to tell them that she doesn't like her nails being done, they may recommend someone specific that works really well with ';stubborn'; dogs





If these don't seem to help, try your vet. They often can clip nails for you, or talk to them about getting a light sedative to use when you do it at home.





Also if she is a puppy, or even older, whenever you are successful be sure to praise her, and when you finish a paw (or all 4, its up to you) give her a small treat to reinforce the good behavior.





Hope I helped :)How do I get my black lab to let me trim her nails?
If she is a pup its somethign new. take her to a groomer to get them done, after a few goes she will get use to it. Try not to scare her. Talk to her calmly and say things like ';good girl'; or ';well done'; and so on.
Make sure to try and keep her calm, and maybe have someone else distracting her while you do it, with treats or toys or something like that.





If all fails I say go to your vet or a professional dog groomer.
Play with her feet, hold her feet and pet her and get her use to having her feet, ears, and other body parts touched if need to be doctored.Then if you can only do one claw at a time that's a start.
You can hold her and cut her nails.... or you can take her to a pets mart or some where so a professinal can do it

No comments:

Post a Comment